Adega Coperativa Regional de Monção
Monção's Winery ("Adego Cooperativa Regional de Monção, CRL") was founded on the 11th of October of 1958 thanks to the initiative of 25 vine growers.
It is located in the middle of the delimited “Vinhos Verdes” region in the sub-region of Monção e Melgaço (north-western part of Portugal – boarder towns with Galicia-Spain) and the use of the term “Vinho Verde Alvarinho” was recognized and exclusively given to this region.
The Guarantee of it’s products is due to it’s raw material, allied with a careful selection of it’s grapes when entering the winery, combined with the modern technology of winemaking and personal contact with it’s customers. Recognized nationwide, its wines are also enjoyed and valued in other countries around Europe, Africa, North an South America.
On the way to modernization
Between 1986 and 2004, Monção’s Winery improved it’s technological conditions in grape reception and winemaking processes (a new branch of Monção’s Winery was created in Melgaço in 1999), in addition to its storage capacity, quality and stabilization of bottling methods.Between 2004 and 2006 the winery underwent physical reformation and new and modern physical structures were build, allowing to a national and international commercial expansion.
Historical and cultural space of Monção’s Winery
Monção’s Winery Historical and Cultural Space was created in 2005 using the old installations of the former home of the Adegueiro and Moonshine cellar.Integrated in the Minho Itinerary of the Vinho Verde Route, it’s open to public.
In 2007, the wine magazine “Revista de Vinhos” awarded Monção’s Winery with the title of “Cooperative of the Year” and in 2008 during the event “Lisbon Celebrates Wine” the Ministry of Agriculture of Rural Development and Fishing Distinguished it with the “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” Award.